Litter Infringement FAQs

Got a question about your litter fine?  

Read on to answers for some frequently asked questions?  

How did I get this fine?

Keep Australia Beautiful WA receive written reports of littering from vehicles from Rangers, Government Officials, Police and Fire & Emergency Services personnel and registered community members.  These statements are detailed reports of littering offences which have been witnessed by the reporter. Infringements are then issued from these reports as littering is an offence under the Litter Act 1979.

Do you have to have photographic evidence of this?

No, under the Litter Act 1979, photographic evidence is not required for the issuing of an infringement notice.

What’s to stop anyone reporting someone for littering when it’s a false claim?

That would be a malicious report, such a report would be illegal to make and our investigators may investigate the matter and consider prosecution. We receive reports from witnesses that include Local Government Rangers, State Government Officers, Emergency Service Personnel and Police officers. All infringement notices are issued on reports from reporters who are willing to go to court to support the statements they have given.

My License has been suspended, what do I do?

If your litter fine has progressed to the Fines Enforcement Registry (FER) because it has not been paid your license may have been suspended. To have the suspension lifted the litter infringement needs to be addressed by contacting FER on 1300 650 235 or 9235 0235 or KAB WA on 1300 00 73 76 for further information. Your options will include:

a.         transferring the fine if you were not driving complete part C1

b.         having the matter heard by a Magistrate. Complete part E of the notice and return it to this office.

c.         payment to Fines Enforcement Registry or Keep Australia Beautiful WA.

It wasn’t me, another person I know littered from my car. What do I do?

Being the registered owner of the vehicle you have received the fine.  You have the option of transferring the fine into the driver of the vehicles name on the back of the infringement notice.

It wasn’t me. Lots of people drive my car. I don’t know who littered from my car, what do I do?

If you are unable to provide the details of the driver or person who committed the alleged offence you will need to write a formal statement on a Western Australian Statutory Declaration form stating the reasons why. Under the Statutory Declarations Act 1959, a person who wilfully makes a false statement in a Statutory Declaration is guilty of an offence and may be fined or jailed.

Is littering an apple core/fruit skins really considered littering?

Yes, throwing any unwanted organic material out of your vehicles window is littering.  Apple cores and fruit skins take a number of months to break down, and is unsightly like other litter.  This litter can attract vermin and if littered in the bush can attract wildlife to the roadside which creates danger for drivers and hazards for native wildlife.

The littering happened in a car park, that’s private property so you can’t give me an infringement notice for that.

Under the Litter Act 1979, you are subject to being penalised for any littering that occurs in an area frequented by the public, such as shopping centres and car parks.

I never received the initial infringement notice.

If you did not receive the original infringement please contact KAB WA on 1300 00 73 76 or  to have a copy of the infringement sent to you.

I have been out of the country/interstate recently and never received anything until now threatening to suspend my driver’s license.

If you have been away and have not had a chance to respond to the original infringement please contact KAB WA on 1300 00 73 76 or to have a copy of the infringement sent to you.

For further information please call  Please call 1300 00 73 76 to speak with an Enforcement Officer.