Litter reporting FAQs

What happens when I register as a litter reporter?

You can help keep Western Australia beautiful by reporting positive sightings of litter offences involving vehicles. Offences can be reported to KABC by giving the time, date, location, vehicle registration, and other information either using our app, or by filling out an online report on our website.

highway litter

What information do I need to collect to submit a successful report?

The following details are vital for a successful report:

  1. Vehicle licence plate, make/model, colour
  2. Whether the offender was the driver or passenger
  3. The offender’s gender
  4. The location of the offence (street and suburb)
  5. Time and date
  6. Type of litter
  7. Other information can also be extremely useful such as an accurate description of the offender’s appearance, any distinguishing vehicle features, or other important information surrounding the alleged offence.

When your report has the right information, it is more likely to lead to a successful infringement notice. See examples of reports to help you.

What is done with the report?

After a successful verification of the vehicle’s licence plate with the Department of Transport's records we proceed with issuing a littering infringement notice to the registered owner of the vehicle.

How long do I have to submit my report after the offence?

Preferably, reports should be submitted within one week of the offence. Offences that occurred longer than 28 days ago can not be reported.

What kinds of littering can I report?

  1. Unsecure and Uncovered Loads – It is an offence to transport a load that is not contained, fastened or secured properly. If litter escapes from a trailer, truck, or utility, it constitutes littering. Penalty: $200  
  2. Careless cigarette butt disposal – Disposal of cigarette butts contravenes the Litter Act, the Road Traffic Code, and the Bushfire Act. Penalty: $200, (this does NOT include ash)
  3. Discarding general litter – Failure to dispose of rubbish correctly in streets, parks, or on the roadside. Penalty: $200, (this DOES include organic matter like apple cores and banana skins)
  4. Dangerous litter – Broken glass, metal, a lit cigarette butt and earthenware deliberately left in a dangerous location is an offence. Penalty: $500
  5. Illegal Dumping – It is an offence to abandon any waste in a publicly accessible area without the consent of the person who controls and manages the area. Penalty: Up to $62,500 for individuals and $125,000 for corporations. Read more.

Can I report littering that occurs in car parks and other private property?

Any littering that occurs in areas frequented by the public, such as shopping centre car parks, can be reported.

Can I report offences that occurred outside of Western Australia?

No. Keep Australia Beautiful (WA) operates under Western Australian law and does not have jurisdiction in other states.

If you want to report an offence outside of WA, check with your state government, or contact your local council.

Can I report junk mail deliveries?

You will need to contact the delivery company directly and ask for your location to be removed from their delivery list. Please see our page about unwanted advertising material. You can order one free 'no junk mail' sticker per household.

How can I report my change of address?

If you need to change any contact details, please click here.