Tidy Towns FAQs
What is Tidy Towns Sustainable Communities About?
Each year, entry into the awards is open to all regional and remote communities, no matter how big or how small. There are eight categories and an overall state award. Tidy Towns is about people getting together to provide a place where visitors are delighted to come, and locals want to stay, and it’s about reducing litter, water and energy consumption, celebrating culture and heritage and protecting Western Australia’s precious natural environment.
It's more than a tidy town - it brings communities together
Read about criteria and Awards
State category finalists and the overall state finalists are selected from information in their submissions and then visited by judges. Winners are announced at a ceremony in November.
Almost any community project can be considered as a Tidy Towns project - work on what is important for your community. Community groups may already be working on many projects that can be rewarded through Tidy Towns, such as:
- Attracting grants to work on environmental or cultural projects
- Cultural activities such as festivals or painting murals
- Cultural planning initiatives
- Eco-tourism and cultural tourism projects
- Planting native trees and gardens
- Eradicating weeds
- Fauna and flora recovery
- Providing Environmental Education programs in schools
- Local awards for a variety of community efforts
- Partnerships between community and government to address local issues
- Mentoring youth leaders in your community
- Recycling programs
- Reducing water and energy use
- Rehabilitating native bushland
- Restoring historic sites
- School environment displays at shopping centres, field days etc.
- Providing facilities such as seats, bins, shelters, BBQs
- Community litter clean ups
- Recording oral histories
- Propagating local native seed
Read Snapshots 2021 which has details of projects undertaken by State finalists.
What support is provided to participants?
Keep Australia Beautiful staff are able to assist entrants with information and advice throughout the year. Contact email@example.com or phone 6364 6643.
State Category Winners are awarded $500
The Overall State Winner is awarded $2000