What people are saying about the Adopt-a-Spot program...
In our yearly surveys of program participants we ask people to describe the changes they have noticed since their involvement in the program. This could be changes at the site or personal impacts.
Here are just some of the responses:
I feel empowered being able to do something for what was a very neglected street into looking very nice now. Also being able to make people aware that we can all do something to help keep areas litter-free.
Awareness - people are talking. We have visitors who come to town and comment to their friends as well as people noticing if areas need to be looked at. Definitely less litter!
- I find that people see me cleaning up and they will stop and pick up litter as they walk in our area
- Litter has reduced … I see others out picking up now.
- Removing rubbish makes a difference.....
- The area seems to stay a bit cleaner for longer.
- People that usually walk the paths one does start noticing the litter is being removed and feel grateful for it. Perhaps they will next be doing the same.
- Walking passing people get impressed and some of they ask where they can approach to do the same on their streets.
The men who participate seem to be happier when they are involved. The take pride in the clean- up and the resulting clean area, there is a feeling of self-satisfaction amongst the group.
I am just so much more aware of litter around my neighbourhood, in particular parks and green spaces.
- More folk interested in joining, including those who live around park. Another member saw it as another recreational area for him and his kids and now does self-clean-ups during his walks. Have joined in with other local clean-up activities too.
- Less repeat litter
- After the first clean-up the rubbish has been less obvious - hope to do a monthly clean up this year.
- Litter breeds so if I pick up small things daily it seems to deter other litterers.
- Positive feedback from other staff about the activity and from members of the public when the clean ups were underway.
- Less rubbish, as I believe rubbish on roads creates more rubbish. I reported street signs that had been knocked over, Cockburn Council replaced them within a day.
- Less recent litter to collect each week digging for old litter i.e. brown beer bottles
- Looks much cleaner
- The amount of rubbish in my adopted site has significantly dropped
- I think the site stays cleaner for longer
- Community members are picking up rubbish along the coastal strip when taking their daily walks.
- On beach front it has improved
- Our area is a lot cleaner
- Less people throwing out litter, still way to much but they are learning, worse time is the council bulk rubbish time people use the bush verge instead of their own and light rubbish not secured, so a bit of wind and its everywhere
- The roads that we keep an eye on have improved significantly and are litter free
- Once the place was cleaned the first time it seems to stay cleaner each time we go there. And so do the other places we clean regularly. As to ourselves, our commitment is stronger now.
The Adopt-a-Spot program is the ideal way to help keep Western Australia beautiful. It's clear from the feedback, that community involvement makes a big difference. Sign up your own site today and play your part. Register here.