You are here: Home » Litter reporting » Litter reporter FAQs

Litter Reporter FAQs

What happens when I register as a litter reporter?

You can help keep Western Australia Beautiful by reporting positive sightings of litter offences involving vehicles. Offences can be reported to KABC by giving the time, date, location, vehicle registration, and other information either using our postage-paid cards, or by filling out an online report on our website.

Soon after your registration is processed you will be mailed your Litter Reporter Kit which includes information on litter reporting, your litter report cards, and our most recent newsletter.

What information do I need to collect to submit a successful report?

The following details are vital for a successful report:

  • Vehicle licence plate, make/model, colour
  • Whether the offender was driver or passenger
  • The offender’s gender
  • The location of the offence (street and suburb)
  • Time and date
  • Type of litter

Other information can also be extremely useful such as an accurate description of the offender’s appearance, any distinguishing vehicle features, or other important information surrounding the alleged offence.

What is done with the report?

After a successful verification of the vehicle’s licence plate with DPI records we proceed with issuing a littering infringement notice to the registered owner of the vehicle.

How long do I have to submit my report after the offence?

Preferably, reports should be submitted within one week of the offence. Offences that occurred longer than 28 days ago can not be reported.

What kinds of littering can I report?

Unsecure and Uncovered Loads – It is an offence to transport a load that is not contained, fastened or secured properly. If litter escapes from a trailer, truck, or utility, it constitutes littering.
Penalty: $200  

Careless cigarette butt disposal – Disposal of cigarette butts contravenes the Litter Act, the Road Traffic Code, and the Bushfire Act.
Penalty: $200

Discarding general litter – Failure to dispose of rubbish correctly in streets, parks, or on the roadside.
Penalty: $200

Dangerous litter – Broken glass, metal, and earthenware deliberately left in a dangerous location is an offence.
Penalty: $500

Illegal Dumping – It is an offence to dump any sort of rubbish or unwanted material in bushland, private property, or public space.
Penalty: $200

Can I report littering that occurs in car parks and other private property?

Any littering that occurs in areas frequented by the public, such as shopping centre car parks, can be reported.

Can I report offences that occurred outside of Western Australia?

No. Keep Australia Beautiful (WA) operates under Western Australian law and does not have jurisdiction in other states.

If you want to report an offence outside of WA, check with your state government, or contact your local council.

How can I report my change of address?

If you need to change any contact details, please email your new details to This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it , or call (08) 6467 5129.

Am I doing things right, I never get any feed back?

Due to limited resources we are unable to give reporters feed back on each of their reports. Generally the only time a reporter gets feed back is when a reporter hasn’t filled out a report properly. Therefore reporters should feel comfortable that they are reporting correctly if they aren’t receiving feedback.






Download: Littering and Illegal Dumping form




Last Updated on Wednesday, 04 December 2013 09:20