There are many ways to keep Australia beautiful.
Everyone in the community has a role to play in keeping Western Australia litter-free. By encouraging all those who love a clean environment to the participate in simple, on-the-ground environmental improvement activities, we can build a more environmentally healthy, vibrant and inclusive community.
Here are some ways you can get involved:
- Pick up litter when you are out walking instead of leaving it in the streets or gutters.
- Refuse plastic bags when you are shopping. Plastic bags are a common litter item and are dangerous to marine animals, such as dolphins, turtles, whales and fish, because they confuse them with jellyfish and eat the bags, often resulting in death.
- Dispose of cigarette butts either in a bin, public butt bins or carry your own personal ashtray. Personal ashtrays are available from KAB WA. Get your free one here.
- Pack a rubbish-free lunch with reusable plastic containers and water bottles rather than bags and drink boxes.
- When out and about, make sure your waste goes in the public bins, not beside it. Alternatively, take your litter home, especially when visiting parks and gardens.
- Put a 'no junk mail' sign on your mailbox. Contact us to get a free no junk mail sticker.
- Secure your load when transporting any materials to ensure they don't fly off.
- Report abandoned shopping trolleys. In Western Australia, Woolworths, Big W and Target are part of the Trolley Tracker scheme. When you report you go in the draw for a $1000 shopping card. Call 1800 641 497or visit www.trolleytracker.com.au
- Like us the Keep Australia Beautiful WA Facebook page and tell your friends too!
KAB WA has a more than 9000 registered litter reporters who report littering from vehicles. You can sign up and be our eyes on the road to ensure we make litterers accountable. Register here...
Individuals, groups and businesses can adopt a spot to keep litter -free. Nominate your spot, register online and you will receive free bags, gloves and tools to help with regular cleanups. Insurance is also available. More...
4. Join a KAB program
There are many programs to engage individuals, community groups, workplaces and schools in reducing litter and enhancing the environment. Choose from the menu on the right of this page.
Our research shows that many people get involved in Keep Australia Beautiful programs through hearing about it from friends, families and work colleagues. Don’t forget to tell others how you are involved, what you do and why you do it -then put them in touch with us.
Like us on Facebook and share with your friends too!
If you are in a position to engage the broader community, we can supply you with newsletter articles, logos, program information and links to promote our programs on your website or newsletter. Contact us for more information.
You can register as volunteer with Keep Australia Beautiful and join us when we participate at community events to promote the anti-litter message. Note: Currently regular volunteering hours are not available.